Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Flood......

Well this is our SECOND flood in our basement. You would think 1 time is enough...not for us!

Last Thursday we were heading to Brett's bball game and Kaden headed downstairs to grab a backpack of toys, as I hear him stop at the bottom and yell up stairs "Mom, my basketball goal fell over and the water from it is everywhere...." I knew that wasn't good. So I responded with, "ok, I'll come get it, how much leaked out?"...."oh mom, it's EVERYWHERE!"....and then I rushed down to see this..............

We couldn't get off our last step, therefore we had 6-7" of water covering our ENTIRE basement. Kaden's toys were floating in the main part, the Wii, our couch, our entire stereo system to the projector, our treadmill, elliptical, things in the storage...alllllllll under water.
I just started crying! I called my mom, called off the trip to the game and started in with phone calls and restoration!
The sad/funny thing was, the VERY first thing I thought of was Brett's KU jersey's I FINALLY got framed for him...and it cost a PRETTY penny for sure. I KNEW they were in the workout room on the floor b/c I hadn't gotten it hung yet...and I just started crying over that too.

Thankfully, Kaden didn't step down into the water or cannonball into our "new pool" b/c there was a LOT of electronics under water.

When the plumber and restoration people got their with their rubber boots, they started pulling things out, but I made sure the first was the jersey frame, and as he handed it to me, tons of water started pouring out. So we quickly broke open the back and got the jersey's out to dry! Man I was devastated.


All the carpet and pad was pulled and the draining began. Dryers all week going on and now holes in the walls to dry out wood, insulation and drywall instead of ripping out 4 feet of wall and replacing all of that, for now! It was our sump pump again this time but not b/c of electricity going out, but b/c the floater or something got stuck on pipes going into the drain, therefore didn't kick the pump to come on and start doing it's job....stinkin' sump pump!

My doll house my papa made me when I was a kid, all my wrapping and bags, clothes, shoes, a spare queen bed getting ready to set up for the spare bedroom, books, toys, blankets, lamps, computer monitor, photos, photo books, marathon memorabilia, frames, valuables of all sorts............sopping wet!

I know they are just "things", but dang.....we work hard for our THINGS! And now, the insurance will be covering just about enough for the repair work....great, how do we replace all our things??!!
Just one more thing on my/our plate to deal with...and I know we'll get through it, but there just isn't enough time in the day sometimes!
Until we figure it all out.....here's our garage,

and my office area is now a drying area as well that you can't walk through.

Oh the fun times in our household!

No comments: