So I don't know how we are so lucky sometimes, but I guess it's the people you know....
Last night Brett and I got to go to the Jon Bon Jovi concert w/ Coach Self, Cindy, and a few administration people. They picked us up in a limo and we were off to the Sprint Center. We drove underneath the Sprint Center and parked where the bands buses were and they escorted us inside. They took us to this private room and there were a few people sitting around little tables, and there was food and an open bar there too. We were told Trisha Yearwood, country singer, was going to be there too, and we wondered why, but.....so we went in, sure enough, there she was in the corner drinking some hot tea and talking to someone. So I was like, wow, I'm in the same room, like 10 feet away from Garth Brooks wife!!! We sat down at the bar, had a drink and then coach and Cindy went and met her and I soooo wanted to take a picture with her, but thought I would play it cool and just sat and drank my drink. Eventually she came and sat down like 4 bar stools from me on the other side of Cindy Self and they started talking a little b/c Garth went to school w/ Cindy in Oklahoma. She was signing her cook books that were sitting on the bar too. So I went over, brave me, and just introduced myself, why miss this chance, and she was soooooooooo nice. Just an ordinary woman, hanging out with some girlfriends for the Bon Jovi concert. (we asked why she was there, and she said she was w/ her friends and they also have the same manager)(made a little more sense) So we chatted, and I was really collective about it, didn't act like a big dork I don't think. She gave and signed all of us a cookbook, so that was just the start!!! Very cool.
Coach had a suite, so we were told we would be heading up there. First we had to go give Jon Bon Jovi a KU jersey w/ his name on the back. So they escort us over to the area and Coach Self met him and had their picture taken w/ the entire band and then just Bon Jovi. They kinda scooted the rest of us over, b/c they were "in the zone" and we didn't want to mess that up, that's what they told us. So we were like, cool, they they are arms length away and coach just got to meet him. Nice.
We went up to the suite, Chris Doughtry (American Idol contestant) opened for them and then after we had seen them downstairs they went on, so we got to see the start under the stage and then had a blast in the suite!!! It was really funny b/c it was a lot of middle aged women mostly and then we went to another suite and the area over there was some younger people, so they ranged all over of fans. I went in thinking, "yeah...this will be fun, why not go, Bon Jovi is cool....don't know any recent songs but his oldies are sweet"...............well I had a blast and knew a LOT more than I thought.
So towards the end of the concert, one of the last songs he put on a National Championship hat and the place erupted w/ cheers and said "how do you like being National Champs....I think I'll have a drink w/ Coach after this...." and we were like YEAHHHHHH, it was soooo cool.
So it ended and coach asked me, did you hear what "Jon" said and I said I did, I think you are having a drink w/ him. Sure enough, they took us downstairs and WE MET HIM!!!!! He was sooooooo nice, a little guy, about 5"9"", but soooo cute. He shook all our hands, talked to us, was VERY thoughtful and just cordial about everything. We were down with him for a good 20 mins or so. Richie Sambora came by too, so crazy. Bon Jovi had coach Self sign the jersey he gave him so he could give it to his son. So here it is...our picture with Bon Jovi.........

We met 2 famous people last night, hung out with them, had just had a blast. We partied a little more in KC after the concert and made it back to Lawrence pretty late...thanks Steph(she babysat)
Feeling it today, really tired that is, but it was worth it, who gets to ever do that!!!
It was really fun just "hanging out" with Coach Self too, b/c it's usually a different setting, so that was fun and we had fun conversations.
So there you go, thought I would share our night out. Great to be National Champions!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment