Monday, February 22, 2010

SURPRISE!!!

So after planning for over 2 months what I was going to do for Brett's 30th birthday, it all came together this weekend! I think he was surprised and we had a great time with all his friends!

I have thought for a LONG time what I wanted to do for him since this was a big birthday and I knew I wanted to try to throw him a surprise but what and how was my problem. We are in the middle of the season and who knows what lies ahead. I knew I couldn't do it on his actual birthday, which is this coming Friday, b/c they leave for OSU and play there on Sat. So I figured the next best was this weekend before. We had a game sat and another home game tomorrow so I knew he'd at least be in town.

"Thirsty for Thirty"...that was the theme! Everyone had to bring their favorite 6 pack of beer to help the old man through the night!


With the help of one of his best friends Bryce, we got all his good high school buddies lined up and ready for this weekend WAY in advance. Along with the help of Joanie, Coach's secretary, she got all 6 of his closest friends tickets for the game right behind the bench. I told them they are getting a really good "goodie bag" gift for coming to his party!

There were many lies, white ones, throughout these past few weeks and the best topped it off when my sister actually had tickets to the Rascal Flats concert in KC for Friday, but obviously I wasn't going to go, but he didn't know that. So I think that threw him off if he did know anything. So the concert, telling him we couldn't leave for it till late b/c my sister had a "meeting for her trip to Peru" that was going to be late and at the last minute to "go get some milk at the store"...so all his friends could get in the house on time, helped in getting him to the house without knowing!

With lots of cleaning throughout the week and last minute cleaning, getting decorations, and cooking all Friday while Kaden was at daycare, with NO sitting down (minus feeding Brooks) finally all got done literally right before some of the first people arrived at 6ish. I didn't tell Kaden ANYTHING about the party until after I picked him up from daycare that day b/c he would of definitely blown it...he doesn't know how to keep secrets yet!!! He was so cute though, he wanted to help decorate when he got up from his nap and was excited to wear his boots and jeans for the birthday party...you know, his party outfit!!!




They all parked way away from the house and trucked it on over to get in on the surprise. My mom was the only one in the driveway and when he came in the only thing that might have confused him was all the food, and there was lots, all over the kitchen table.
But as Kaden jumped out first and yelled surprise(which is a nightly activity anyways), he just said "HEY" and continued on towards the living room, to soon find all 30 something of us jumping out and yelling surprise to him as well!!!
I'm kicking myself still b/c I have it on video but I don't have one single picture of EVERYONE that showed up at the party, I should of just turned around when we were waiting and snapped a picture, but I was to nervous about the surprise myself. Sorry Brett, hopefully you have a mental picture of us all!

His parents even made it up later that night for a little of the party and my dad flew in for another reason but made it to see the birthday boy as well.
They all went out Friday night and Saturday I even joined them with the help of my sister watching the kids, and we enjoyed some time out at a bar...yeah something I haven't been to since I was in college I'm pretty sure!!! It was fun though and good to just hang out!










I had a blast organizing this, although was SUPER paranoid that he found out somehow, but had so much fun seeing his face and pulling it off. Thank you to all his friends for helping us celebrate his birthday and hanging out with us all weekend. He doesn't get to do that very often, or really ever, so I know it meant a lot to him for everyone to be there.

Happy birthday Brett, early! The next surprise will be your little gift on Friday, so you'll just have to wait and see what it is! Love you tons, hope you had fun.

1 comment:

Lacy said...

looks like fun! glad you had a great time!