Sunday, April 18, 2010

Another fun/exhausting weekend...

(warning...long post!)
Another great few days we've had. I wanted to start off with showing a few pictures before the weekend.

Here is my "baby in a box". Yes Brooks! Brooks and Kaden get to come with me to work in the morning to our daycare, but Brooks has been staying in my office since day 1. Since he isn't that mobile and sleeps a lot, it hasn't been a problem. I did the same exact thing when Kaden was born. So here he is in his "box" (a portable sleeper) that he loves just looking up at me by my desk and gazing around. If he's not in his little bed, he's in a rocker, my lap, someone else's arms, or his carseat. Most of the time sleeping, other times just talking and kicking around. I'd say he's pretty content and doing well. He will be going into the daycare with his brother here this next week so I can get a few things done in the morning. The afternoon will be back in the office b/c there is no daycare, but that's ok, I know I'm gonna miss him even though he's like 100 yards away!!!

Next, Kaden had a playdate with one of his best buddies, Cayman, on Thursday morning. While I was getting ready though, he wanted to read some books to his brother. (this is a regular thing at our house!)

Then as we started to get in the car, I noticed Brett and I forgot to switch the carseat base for Brooks, so we were stuck! I called him to see if he could bring it home, and he was in a meeting and couldn't till later in the day. So since it was a nice day out, we decided to just take a walk to Cayman's house! Since I only have a one-person stroller and it's about 1.5- 2 miles to their house, Kaden said he could just hold Brooks and we'd go. Well that lasted about .2 miles and he got tired of holding him, so he walked/ran beside me and then even sat in the back basket for a little bit to rest his legs. That was a site to see, it cracked me up. He did GREAT though and was a trooper. We met them at a park and then I walked back home and they played most of the morning.

The Kansas Relays were being held this weekend and I have a high school friend that coaches at Sterling college and they always come up to run in it, so Friday night we had our pasta feed for our big race on Sunday and Jack came over to join us. It was great seeing him and fun to hang out for a bit. Sat. morning we got up and around and eventually headed out to Memorial Stadium to watch some running action. I missed the relay race that some of my cross country girls ran in, but got to see some people and just hang out with my family in the nice weather.



After a few races, Kaden got bored and there was a kids fun zone over by the practice fields, so we headed there. The KU basketball guys were over there helping out with stuff for a bit, so of course Kaden was pumped to see some of them, although his favorites Cole and Xavier weren't there (they are kinda busy!) but he high-fived all the rest and even got a Jayhawk tattoo with them! He then saw the "jumpy thing" that we had set up for his bday party and another obstacle course jump house so we went right over to them. Tyrell Reed was a great sport and did Kaden's first race through the obstacle course with him. It was so cute and he is SUCH a nice kid.



Then he jumped some more and more and more, and then Big Jay came over to the jump house and thank goodness Kaden was inside of it where he couldn't go b/c he got scared but was ok after he realized Jay couldn't get in. Finally he came out and went to do the race thing again and Jay was over there, so Brett got Kaden to actually give him high fives, bumps and even stand for a picture with him!!! WE MIGHT BE MAKING PROGRESS!!! He was soooo happy after that and told me 5 times that he wasn't even scared! So cute.


So mom and dad finally had to make the plunge and race Kaden through the bounce obstacle (and it was actually a LOT of fun). Brett just loves this picture of me and Kaden b/c he said I cheated and pushed him down at the end so I could win, but if you look at it, I'm actually holding the tubes apart so he could get through!!! Brett of course gave no mercy and fought his way through as well! We had a blast though and couldn't have asked for a better day.


(The little bean bag toss game was a hit as well!)

After that we went up to the new hotel The Oread, and it was BEAUTIFUL. I want to stay in it some night! We grabbed a snack and some icecream and then headed home.

Sunday morning was the big race day! Steph, Brett T. and I all ran the Lawrence half marathon and Amber and her sister ran the 5K! It was a GREAT morning, little chilly, but great running weather. Thankfully my brother was nice and ran with me the whole time and I think we pushed eachother back and forth, so it was good. We finished in 1hr. 38 mins. and I think I was 3rd overall in my age, 12th female out of 463, and 54/55(my brother and I finished together) out of 808 runners total. Not bad after having a baby 4 mths ago I guess!
Brett, Kaden, Brooks, and my mom made it out along the course bright and early as well and cheered us on. It was great seeing them at different spots to give me/us a little boost along the way.




There was TONS of stuff afterwards with food, awards, games and things for kids. Kaden saw these HUGE blow up soccer balls from afar and soon kids were getting in them and running around. It looked like tons of fun, but Kaden wasn't so sure at first, then we went over, and he hopped right in one and tumbled/ran around like a little gerbil in a cage. He was pushing it along the way kinda slowly so I told the guy guiding it to just make him tumble and I knew he'd either be crying or love it. Thankfully all I could hear was him dying laughing inside the whole way back. He LOVED IT! It was a great little activity for the kids and Kaden wanted to do it again and again, but we headed home shortly after.


Finally we got home and I took a shower and started to relax with some Ibuprofen for a bit and then Brett had to leave for work, so I had the kids with some sore body parts and about an hour to get ready for a bday party for one of Kaden's little friends. So we did all our stuff and headed out to the indoor swimming pool down the road. I wasn't so sure about this either b/c I REALLY didn't want to get in a swim suit, or swim or anything, I was so tired. So I told Kaden he would have to play with the other kids. The pool had this whole zero-entrance play area, so no worries. He was timid at first, but got used to it and had a GREAT time splashing around. We went to the party room after about 45 mins of swimming, did cake, icecream, presents and then everyone was going home....but us! Kaden wanted to go back and swim some more, so I said what the heck and we did. Thankfully his buddy Cayman and his mommy said he could too, so we played for another 20 mins or so.



We picked Brooks up at my moms and went straight to a park for another 20-30mins after the party, just because I guess. Kaden saw it along the way and we had nothing else to do.
This whole day was without a nap for Kaden and he did SOOOO good. He never got out of control grumpy or anything, which made it so nice for me!!! We finally made it home around 6, I made dinner, and then outside we went AGAIN for some more fun. Brett didn't make it home till close to 10pm after some troubles with work stuff, so baths, snacks, milk and bed went pretty quick once we were back inside. Kaden's eyes were sooooo tired he could hardly watch his little movie and he went right to bed around 8:30 with very little push from me!!

So as you can see, we had a very FUN, EXHAUSTING, and NON STOP weekend...but I wouldn't have it any other way!!!
(needless to say I did NO homework at all...oh well!)

1 comment:

Ann said...

I decided after reading today's blog that I'm getting a blue two-piece suit for the summer!!!
Love,
Auntie Ann